SSCCSE in the Interim Constitution of Southern Sudan
The SSCCSE and the Population Census are discussed in Part 14, Chapter I of the Interim Constitution of Southern Sudan, 2005 (Articles 200 and 201).
CENSUS AND ELECTIONS
CENSUS AND STATISTICS
The Southern Sudan Centre for Census, Statistics and Evaluation
(1) There shall be established in Southern Sudan a Southern Sudan Centre for Census, Statistics and Evaluation.
(2) The Southern Sudan Centre for Census, Statistics and Evaluation shall be an autonomous statistics bureau authorized, inter alia, to:
(a) collect, compile, analyze and publish all official statistical information on economic, social, demographic, environmental and general activities and conditions of the people of Southern Sudan;
(b) conduct all censuses and surveys that are carried out throughout Southern Sudan;
(c) monitor and evaluate social impacts of public policies, projects and programmes; and
(d) monitor the progress of poverty alleviation and the attainment of the Millennium Development Goals in Southern Sudan.
(3) The President of the Government of Southern Sudan shall appoint a Board of Directors and the Director of the Centre. The Board shall be the highest policy-making body of the Southern Sudan Centre for Census, Statistics and Evaluation; it shall formulate policies and set its internal regulations, priorities, standards and criteria for all the censuses and surveys to be carried out in Southern Sudan.
(4) The organisation and powers of the Centre, and terms and conditions of service of its personnel shall be regulated by law.
Southern Sudan Population Census
201. (1) Population census in Southern Sudan shall be conducted and completed by the end of the second year of the Interim Period.
(2) The population census in Southern Sudan shall be conducted by the Southern Sudan Centre for Census, Statistics and Evaluation in coordination with the national Central Bureau of Statistics.
(3) In the interest of effectiveness in the execution of the population census or surveys throughout the Sudan, the national Central Bureau of Statistics and Southern Sudan Centre for Census, Statistics and Evaluation shall co-ordinate, co-operate and assist each other in the ofulfillment of their functions and may to this end, establish the necessary mechanisms and channels of implementation.